Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Obituary

So that was it, I finally found the courage to end it and move on to some other, still undefined activity. I had been thinking about ending this blog for some time, as far back as last October actually. The reasons for stopping are simple: B & B (broke & bored).

I'm broke. I've now been out of work for 18 months and it's slowly wearing me down, psychologicaly and financialy. I feel like this blog is distracting me when I should be spending more time looking for a job. With unemployement at an all-time high in Europe I don't know if that's going to make any difference though, we'll see...

I'm also bored. This blog hasn't changed much for the past 2-3 years, and I don't see it evolving much in the future. I like it the way it is: the simple layout, the Grooveshark previews, the Bandcamp promotional posts. I don't see how I could improve it in any significant manner. If I had enough imagination to write record reviews I would have done it. But I really suck at describing music, music for me is more of an emotional than an intellectual experience, and emotions are personal. So, creatively, that's as far as this blog will ever go I think. And I don't see myself spending another 5 years endlessly uploading and reuploading.

This image was the original banner of this blog back in 2008. It was a simple 2-column template with the Supreme Leader Kim Jong-il at its top. The current banner with the headphones is taken from Superdrag's album Head Trip In Every Key and tweaked a little bit with Photoshop.

So what's coming next on this blog? Well, in the following months I will be doing some cleaning up and I will also be reuploading some vinyl rips. Quiet a few records were never reuploaded or were never uploaded as FLAC files (some of you will recall that in 2008 the maximum file size on file lockers like MediaFire was a mere 100 Mb!) So expect some of the early posts (circa 2008-2009) to be updated (I will make a list, don't worry). I have also been sent some live shows by the Sundays, some of them in lossless audio, so I will post these as well. And finally I still have around 20 records already uploaded but not yet posted, so expect them to be showing up here in the near future. Then that will be it, for good this time. I need a change of scenery.

And now, time for some boring stats!

Five years and six months, one thousand posts, that's (roughly): 105 promotional posts; 17 DVD rips; 11 VHS rips; 18 "pyrolysebred selection" mixtapes; 21 audio cassette rips; 277 CD albums or compilations; 113 CD singles; 35 miscellany; and the 403 remaining posts are mostly vinyl rips (and a few live shows).

It is also 26 followers, 1 troll and relatively few requests to remove download links (as far as I remember it was always because the record was being reissued). And also one DMCA complaint to Google/Blogger. Those riot grrrls really are angry!!

You probably have noticed a counter at the top of the righ-hand column of this blog. It shows a staggering 174,710 total views. Don't believe any of it, this is just to impress the girls. The download stats provided by some file lockers is a better indication of popularity. And those stats are a lot less impressive. Few records had more than 30 downloads, even less for the FLAC files. From what was uploaded on DepositFiles, at the moment the most popular file still online is... drum roll... this one! Who would have guessed? Then comes Poly Styrene and then The Wake. All in MP3 format.

According to the stats provided by Blogger, over the past 5 years, the overwhelming majority of visitors to this blog came from the United States. Which is a little ironic considering how much energy the US government is wasting fighting so-called piracy. Another example of a government waging war on its own people, nothing new there.


So thank you all for dropping by, leaving comments, sharing music. Thank you also to the record labels and bands featured here for not threatening to sue or kill me. I still believe that, under certain conditions, file-sharing has the potential to generate more revenues than what may be lost through sharing. 5 years of interacting with other music enthusiasts through this blog has only reinforced that belief.

20 comments:

  1. This is a sad day. ...but a completely understandable one. I run a blog called A-sides, B-sides, and Seasides. I am also ending my run. I will be putting up my final 3 posts this week. I was also unemployed for much of the time that I've been posting. I was lucky enough to get back to work recently. No time for blogging under my current banner. I have similar stats to yours. Plenty of readers, but my downloads aren't as impressive.

    You've done remarkable work around here. I'm sad to see you go. I'm one of those US readers adding to your count. hehehe

    Be well, and good luck in your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I took the opposite path from you: I had a job when I started blogging, then went part-time then nothing. Hopefully things will turn around and give me the desire to come back or start a new blog...

      Delete
  2. Thanks :)
    I like your blog, your music selection (lots of rare stuff)
    ps Wish you find some work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your work. It has been a real pleasure to discover your posts, each time. I found inside them so many jewels.
    I hope (I'm sure) your enthousiasm will come back soon.

    Thanks again for your time and your work, thanks, thanks thanks.

    Stef, a french fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just wanted to say thanks for doing/having done this blog; not sure if I ever commented before, but I got a bunch of good stuff here over these last couple years (I'm in New York, for whatever that's worth). Like they say - this is a golden age for music lovers and it's mainly thanks to blogs like this one. So again, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the hard work. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the finest music blogs comes to an end..I'll miss the euphoric anticipation I used to feel when I clicked on the pyrolysebred bookmark and checked your latest posts, thanks for your efforts and good luck to you in your job search. Hopefully things will turn around for all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried almost everything. really. I downloaded…. almost everything you posted. and so glad that I did.

    You turned me onto Desert Hearts. Fur. The Becketts. Eternally grateful, sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't forgotten about the Becketts reuploads, I will get to them soon :)

      Delete
  8. Indeed.and hell yes, in regards to file-sharing. I buy (on vinyl) everything. that I can find. Things I'd otherwise not heard of.


    these are sound libraries ; modern day music blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So long and thanks for all the fish

    ReplyDelete
  10. Five years and 1000 posts is insanely impressive. You've been an ornament to the game with your passion, dedication, great taste, direct writing style, ace FLACs, clean design and, above all, selfless generosity.

    Thanks so much.

    Wishing you only good things, from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "direct writing style": ellipsis is my writing style ;-)

      Delete
  11. Youve done your time, All the best Prolly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found this blog quite late, through a random click. I love serendipity!

    I'm sorry you're having such crap personal issues with work. But let it be known that despite the "terrible" stats, you've made a lot of people happy. I'm one of them.

    I hope all works out and that you find a fulfilling job - or just a job that allows you to come back one day and fill our hard drives and lives with more music.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all of the great works that you've posted. I'll certainly miss your contributions because you've helped me find works that are otherwise inaccessible due to my own situation (out of work due to health issues) or the market itself (e.g. out of print works). I hope you find work and continue to find musical works that you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all. I discovered great stuffs here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still working on getting you some Air Formation and Airiel. Loved the Boyracer and Snowpony stuff. Sorry to see you go (and sorry I only discovered your posts two months ago).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, looking forward to listening to those records :) And sorry that you arrived here only to find a blog full of dead links, that's the problem with free accounts on file-lockers, links don't stay active for very long.

      Delete
  16. Thanks for all your posts. I've really enjoyed the music.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.